Sunday, February 27, 2011

FO: Centipede Scarf

FO: Centipede Scarf

I've been trying to finish more of my UFOs, so tonight I have yet another FO to share. And I'm just now realizing that I haven't blogged about it yet.

FO: Centipede Scarf

Way back in 2009 I took a break from my blog, and life in general, due to illness. This included a hiatus from work.

At that point the Photogenic Scarf was my main project. It was simple but not too simple and I loved the yarn. It felt good to knit. And I left it in my desk at work before I took time off.

FO: Centipede Scarf

So I decided to start knit the Malabrigo Waffles Scarf by Sarah Florent. I used Malabrigo Merino Worsted in "Curacao" from Gauge. I used one and a half skeins, just like Sarah did with the original scarf.

FO: Centipede Scarf

I had trouble choosing a gauge for this project. I ended up using the pair of US Size 8 wooden knitting needles that I won at The Knitting Nest's Ravelry Weekend. The nice needles enhanced the knitting experience.

FO: Centipede Scarf

This picture shows both sides of the scarf. It's reversible, but both the sides look different. However, I think the mostly stockinette side of the scarf looks sort of like the "right side."

The whole pattern is only a four row repeat. This would be a good pattern for beginners.

FO: Centipede Scarf

I stalled on this project a long time ago because I couldn't decide on the length of the scarf. It was getting pretty long, but I wanted to keep knitting. I finally cut it off at about five feet or so. Some people have suggested that a scarf should be about as long as the person is tall. I usually "measure" scarves by holding them up to the top of my head and seeing if they hit the ground. Most people are taller than I am, but 60 inches seems like a nice length for most people.

Besides, the Photogenic Scarf was already really long. How many really long scarves do I need?

Blocking the Centipede Scarf

This is a stockinette based stitch, so it tends to curl. I gave it a light blocking. I used my usual blocking technique. I washed it in Eucalan (with minimal bleeding), pinned it and let it dry. I tried not to worry to much about getting the edges perfectly pinned. It's not perfectly flat, but it's good enough.

FO: Centipede Scarf

I'll leave you with this picture so you can see where the name of this particular scarf came from. Jules named this one. He said it looked like a game of Centipede. Of course, most Atari games from the era looked like this. But I can see the resemblance.

You can see all of my pictures of the Centipede Scarf are here.

No comments: