Friday, March 13, 2009

Social Media and Me

As tired as I've been, I still have nights where I don't really sleep. Like tonight. And instead of setting off the smoke alarm, I think this is a good time to blog.

It's been a while since I worked on the Blog Improvement Project, and I'm just going to jump in where everyone else is. The current topic is blogging and social media.

I use social media sparingly for blogging. I have a twitter account that I don't update much, except to post when I have a new blog entry. My MySpace page doesn't see very much action at all.

My Facebook profile has been seeing a lot of of action. I use it not so much for the blog (although I do post almost all my blog entries on my wall), but for my actual friends. (*Gasp*) When I joined, I used the feature that goes through the e-mail addresses in your address book and looks for people on Facebook. I realized I knew a lot of people in real life who wereon Facebook. In fact, the best part about using Facebook is that it's made me closer to my sister.

Kim focuses on Delicious, the social bookmarking site, on her entry. My Delicious account is all over the place. I don't do much networking, but I bookmark like crazy. And my tagging scheme leaves a lot to be desired. (You may have noticed similar insane tagging on my blog entries.) Someday I'll clean it up.

I actually don't tag a lot of knitting entries on Delicious. Most of that is done on Ravelry.

What can I say about Ravelry that hasn't already been said. It's like the collective consciousness of all of the Internet's knitters and crocheters. (If you don't know what Ravelry is, read this. It's where all the cool fiber artists hang out.)

Social networking is awesome. Except for the whole cancer thing. (Edited to fix link.)

No comments: