Saturday, March 21, 2009

KnitPicks as an Antidepressant

I just went outside to check the mail. And it's a beautiful day. For normal people.

But as I mentioned last year, I'm convinced that I have Reverse Seasonal Affective Disorder. Today isn't bad, but I'd still prefer it cooler. And I know the miserable heat will be here soon.

So I decided I should jump on the Decimal cardigan while I'm in the mood. I think it will break me out of my knitting funk.

Unfortunately, I'm broke and I don't have sweater amounts of anything close to appropriate in my stash. So I put in an order to KnitPicks last weekend. I'm starting out by swatching different yarns. I got color cards and swatching balls of Gloss Sock Yarn, Simply Cotton Sport, Shine Sport, CotLin and Merino Style. I can knit the largest size of Decimal in any of those yarns for less than $50.

While I was at it, I ordered a skein of Shadow Lace to scratch my itch for lace, a set of Harmony DPNs and a badly needed Ball Winder. This was just enough for free shipping. (It's been more than five days now, so I'm anxiously checking the mailbox everyday.)

I consider this a medical expense. I think my mental health will benefit from it. (I wonder if my FSA will cover it.)