Thursday, February 26, 2009

Sheer Madness

Interweave Knits

I got the latest issue of Interweave Knits a couple of weeks ago, and the "Sheer Bliss" section caught my attention. Mostly because most of the patterns didn't look that sheer to me.

The Sculptured Lace Scarf is nice, but I don't think peppering in a few eyelets is enough to call it sheer. Or even lace. (This is probably good thing if you want a guy to wear it like the picture in the magazine.) Same for the Parker Cardigan. And Bettie's Lace Stockings look like lace, not "the new lace." (That's what they call it on the cover.) I realize sheer doesn't have be literal, but many of the patterns, while nice, just didn't "feel" sheer.

I felt the same way about the Whisper Cardigan (pictured above.) Until I took a closer look at it in the bathtub. It really is sheer. And I like it.

The pattern calls for lace weight yarn and US Size 7 knitting needles. The gauge is 6 stitches per inch. That makes for a pretty loose fabric. I like it.

So my wheels are turning again. (Although I haven't forgotten about Montera.) I like this pattern, but I don't think it's right for me. Since it doesn't button up the front, the only measurement listed for size is the measurement across the back. Although it seems to look like one size would fit most, I have my doubts it would fit me. Even if it did, the open front probably wouldn't flatter my chest.

So I'll keep thinking about a design.

Cascade Alpaca Lace

I'm thinking about the Cascade Alpaca Lace that I saw at The Knitting Nest as well.

No comments: