Saturday, January 3, 2009

FO: Wishy Washy Fishy Tawashi

<span class=

Last night was Jules' last night in town. We had to do some laundry, so we had dinner with my parents and watched the Blazing Saddles DVD that Santa gave Jules. While I was there, I decided to work on the Wishy Washy Fishy Tawashi that I promised Mom for Christmas. (A Tawashi is small scrubber for dishes.) I was almost done by the time the movie ended, and wrapped them up before we left last night.

<span class=

I cast on with a size 6 needles, but for the most part I used my US Size 5 Brittany needles and Sugar 'n Cream Yarn. The colors I used were all "hot colors," Hot Green, Hot Orange and Hot Blue. Mom chose the colors out of my stash of dishcloth cotton. They're nice tropical colors.

<span class=

The pattern has a couple of options for eyes. I chose the knitted option. They ended up a little big, but I like them. I also took the yarn tail and tied a loop so the tawashi can hang from a hook. The loop is really short on the green and blue fish because I left a short tail. I made a point of leaving a longer tail when I knit the orange and green fish.

<span class=

These tawashi definitely have a "wrong" side. They're knit flat. You use yarn to gather the tawashi around the tail and mouth, which causes the edges to curl a little bit. The pattern says you can sew two tawashi together if you want a thicker scrubbie.

Mom was happy with the end result, and so was I. It was a great way to use up some scraps of yarn.

No comments: