Sunday, November 2, 2008

Spinning Wheels: Mom's Louet and Mom's Ashford

Clara may have been ready to jump in and buy a spinning wheel on the yarn crawl, but I have a lot more testing to do before I buy one. I intend to spin on as many wheels as possible before I choose one, and last weekend I started with two.

Spinning on Mom's <span class=

I started with Mom's Louet.

The first of my spinning on the <span class=

I've plied on it before, but this was my first time actually spinning. It was pretty lumpy at first.


I eventually got my rhythm, drafting in very short lengths.

Spinning on Mom's <span class=

This wheel has a lot of "pull." It made it really hard to get started. Eventually I drafted the roving some more, in addition to taking shorter drafts.

<span class=

Here's the finished single on the Louet. (It's Corriedale wool.) The leather strap on the bobbin adjusts the tension. Mom has it so loose it doesn't even touch the bobbin, but it's still has a lot of pull. I got used to the high tension, but I could see how being able to adjust to a lower tension could be helpful.

Mom's <span class=

This is Mom's Ashford wheel.

Mom's <span class=

It has a thingy to wrap your roving around when you're not spinning. It's a helpful feature.

Spinning on Mom's <span class=

The knob underneath the bobbin adjusts the tension on the wheel. It took me a while to get the hang of it. I loosened it at first, and then I had to tighten it as I went along.

Spinning on Mom's <span class=

(I'm still new, so I really have to focus on what I am doing.)


Here's the Ashford in action. I'm still not sure which one I like best. The Ashford seems to have more flexibility.

<span class=

Here's the completed single on the spindle.

I don't think I'm any closer to making a decision, but I'll have some decent skills to try at wheels next week at Kid 'n Ewe.

No comments: