Friday, July 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Tom!

Wednesday was Tom Hanks' birthday celebration at The Knitting Nest. It didn't occur to me until I got there that they weren't open late like they normally are on Monday nights. But I did have enough time to say hi to Tom...


...and little Tom...


...and buy some yarn.

All the yarn was 10 percent off. Customers who could answer a trivia question about Tom Hanks got a bigger discount. Of course, I got "Whose funeral did Tom Hanks attend with Steven Spielberg?" (The answer was Princess Diana.) Needless to say, I got it wrong. Stacy said that was a hard one.

But I still got my 10 percent off.

On the left, there's Cascade Sierra in Spring Green. From what I understand, Stephanie is test knitting it for the shop, so only a few colors are available right now. I will be doing my own test swatching.

In the middle are two skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the much sought after Franklin's Pantopticon colorway. I love the fact that it is a fairly masculine and/or neutral colorway that isn't drab. The Knitting Nest had it in both worsted and sock weights. I had a hard time choosing, but eventually I decided I needed more sock yarn.

On the far right is Cascade 220 Superwash Yarn in Chocolate. I'm going to combine it with some Army Green that I already have for Center Square.

Tour de Fleece Update

Tonight I hung out at Ross and Jen's and finished spinning another section of my roving. I'm about two-thirds of the way done with the fiber. (Keep in mind, I still have to ply once I finish spinning the single.)

Maybe I should have picked a more difficult project, but I'm a Rookie, and I wanted to set an attainable goal.

Hopefully I'll be Navajo plying soon.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I really like the Lorna's Laces colorway. And, I'm knitting a Wicked out of Cascade Sierra, and I'd really put it at so-so. It's not bad, but the feel of it on my hands has me putting it aside. Also, I wouldn't make cables with it. I thought the wool content would be enough, but it pulls them out of whack.